Oct 26, 2013

Thinking out of the box


Thinking out of the box

I was reading a very interesting post yesterday from Sazzy Nirpaw about the hard balance models have to face trying to find that hard balance between showing the garment as the designer made it to be worn and "being original and thinking out of the box" to be considered a good stylist.

The post made me think and I realized that I am always pretty safe when working on my stylings, probably because I understand how completely deforming an item can be irritating for the creator: it wasn't how he/she designed it, so you are actually "destroying his/her" creation. The reason I blog is to show you items I love, and hopefully, make you go to the store and buy them, therefore supporting the creators I admire, which I think is the main role of every model in Second Life and what I've been trying to achieve since I became a model in SL back in 2008. Other than some fitting and some color edition I hardly ever break an item into different pieces to use them as part of another outfit, or accessorize a complete outfit with pieces from another designer. That's just not what I do, and that's certainly not what the designers that trust in me to show off their creations expect me to do either.

That being said, I must confess I admire that different approach to modeling in SL that focuses more in fashion than in the actual designer, it is probably much more creative and eye catching than just wearing the creation and adding just the correct amount of items to make it look amazing, but then you are creating your own look, not promoting designer items. If a customer goes to the store in order to purchase what he/she saw you wearing, they will not find it, and if they do buy something, sometimes they may even feel deceived.

Like I already stated, for me that approach focuses more into fashion in general than in the actual garments or designers, it is a form of art, a form of expression and a way to promote yourself as a model or stylist, but probably not the best possible way to promote said designer items. For myself, I will stick to what I consider my job, to show the garments in the best possible way in order to make you run to the store and buy them, and I will still consider myself a good stylist on the meantime.

I will also continue enjoying all these amazing stylings created by other models out there who are capable of "thinking out of the box" creating great looks with the items they have been given keeping that balance between designer creation and creativity.

Everything else, will still be considered a form of art, but not modeling for me.


Thinking out of the box 2

Credits:


Skin: Glam Affair Neva América 03 (by Aida Ewing)
Eyeshadow: L.Fauna Smokey Cat Eyeshadow (by Launa Fauna)
Lipstick Baiastice Jes lipstick passion red (by Sissy Pessoa)
Eyes: IKON Perspective Eyes - Blue (by Ikon Innovia)

Lashes: Mon Cheri "Falsies" Eyelash (by Freya Olivieri)    
Hair: Vanity Hair Say my name -  Dark browns (by Tabata Jewell)

Dress: Color.Me.H.O.F Retro Dress - borwn (by Fashionboi Landar) *available @ Collabor88*
Leggings: MAiiKI Long Legging Black (by Onyx LeShelle) *vintage*
Boots: Baiastice Knee platform stretch boots - suede camel (by Sissy Pessoa)


Slink Mesh Hands Relaxed (by Siddean Munro)


Nails: Nailed It Metals set - gold (by Giela Delpaso)
Ring: Mandala Red/gold Motsumame Ring (by Kikunosuke Eel)

No comments: